Seems like every time you turn around at the gym people are discussing the best pre work supplement available. It’s not surprising given that pre workout supplements have become more popular today than ever before.
The main reason for the interest in pre workouts is due to the way they are formulated. Basically pre workouts are a blend of nutrients that are designed to work together to boost energy, muscle growth and strength, increase focus and burn off body fat.
Although, all pre workouts are not created equal. Manufactures will develop a unique blend of nutrients and vitamins in order to produce a well rounded pre workout supplement. The following list is not an exhaustive list but, it will give you a good idea of the key nutrients found in many popular pre workout supplements.
- Arginine - The reason Arginine is used in supplements is it’s ability to increase blood flow which in turn provides a better pump for your workout.
- Beta-Alanine – Is an amino acid that can raise carnosine levels in your muscles, this will boost the volume of work the muscles can perform during workouts. Beta-Alanine can delay muscle fatigue and boost stamina and muscle strength.
- Betaine – Is an amino acid which boosts muscle protein synthesis, this can result in an increase in strength, power, and mass.
- (BCAA) Branched-Chain Amino Acids – These acids can help delay muscle fatigue, boost fat loss, and increase energy and muscle size.
- Caffeine – Is well known as a powerful stimulant. It can help to increase focus and energy during workouts.
- Citrulline Malate – Too much ammonia in your body can cause extreme fatigue and muscle weakness. Citrulline can help increase energy levels by ridding your body of excess ammonia.
- Creatine – Provides quick energy that your muscles require during workouts. It gives you a better pumps and aids muscle growth by drawing water into your muscles. I found an extensive article on creatine that provides a ton of information on the supplement and should answer any of your questions at this site.
- Glycerol – Glycerol increases muscle size causing you to look bigger and fuller. Glycerol can maximize hydration which in turn can create a bigger pump.
- Taurine – It can increase muscle endurance and strength.
- Tyrosine – An amino acid that can increase concentration, improve mood, boost energy and increase mental focus.
Pre Workout Supplements are engineered to be consumed before your workout, but, some supplements may also be taken after a workout to reach maximum benefit. Different supplements from different manufactures will contain a mixture of the nutrients listed above, and can aid to:
- Improve mood
- Boost energy levels
- Produce a greater pump
- Deter muscle fatigue
- Boost stamina
- Boost strength, power, and mass and endurance
- Boost muscle size
- Increase performance
- Raise fat loss
However, often times these pre workout supplements don’t always work well for every individual. That’s why I believe that if you feel you need to consume a pre workout supplement, Creatine Monohydrate is a safe choice and is the Best Pre Workout Supplement.
Before starting on any new supplement, diet or exercise program it is best to consult your doctor. Always follow the recommended daily dosage set by the manufacture and if you have questions, consult the manufacturer before using their product.